At Dripping Springs ISD, Physical Education programs are an integral part of every student's education. DSISD believes that students will perform better in the classroom and in all phases of life when they have an active lifestyle and feel positive about their physical development. PE programs include a multitude of activities at all levels so that each student can experience success.
PHYSICAL FITNESS ASSESSMENT INITIATIVE
In an effort to improve children's health through the public school system, state law requires that the Fitnessgram physical fitness assessment be administered to all students in Grades 3-12 who are enrolled in a Physical Education course or a course for which physical education credit is awarded. At the end of the school year, a parent may submit a written request to obtain the results of his or her child's physical fitness assessment conducted during the school year.
High school students who qualify for Category I are eligible to receive a class period for Olympic PE. Category 2 qualifiers will be eligible for P.E. Credit, but not a class period.
Dripping Springs ISD shall award state graduation credits in high school or allow two (2) physical education course substitutions in middle school for participation in approved physical activities if the student is enrolled in a full-day schedule and meets at least one of the following criteria:
- the student is participating and competing in at least one school-sponsored athletic program outside of the regular school day; or
- the student is on a school-sponsored cheerleading squad outside of the regular school day; or
- the student participates in an Olympic-level activity and/or competition with the student supervised by a district-approved vendor for a minimum of 15 hours per week (Category I); or
- the student participates in private or commercially sponsored physical activities supervised by a district-approved vendor for a minimum of five (5) hours per week (Category II).
All student forms please send to your campus counselor.
INFORMATION FOR ALTERNATIVE PE PROVIDERS
The Off-Campus Provider application is closed and will open in October. Applications can be emailed with middle school grades approved at district level. Providers are placed on the Vendor List for three consecutive school years, and then must reapply to remain on the list. Please email the completed provider application to email@example.com.
Category I - Olympic-level participation and/or competition
- Students must be supervised a minimum of 15 hours per week with highly intensive professional training
- The training facility, instructors, and the activities involved in the program are certified by the superintendent of schools to be of exceptional quality
- Students qualifying and participating at this level may be dismissed from school for no more than one period per day
- Students do not miss any class other than physical education to participate in the program
Category II - Private or commercially sponsored physical activities that are not Olympic level but are certified by the superintendent of schools to be of high quality
- Students are well-supervised by appropriately trained instructors
- Students participate in physical activity for at least five hours per week
- Students certified to participate at this level are not dismissed from any part of the regular school day