School Health Advisory Council
SHAC END-OF-YEAR UPDATE:
The DSISD School Health Advisory Council met seven times during the 2018-2019 school year to develop recommendations in multiple areas of student health and well-being including: school safety, mental health supports, social and emotional well-being, health and nutrition provisions, and sex education. The summative report includes recommendations regarding the use of the Scott & White Sexual Health and Wellness curriculum resources for 7th grade Sex Education Instruction beginning in the 2019-2020 school year.
Those interested in serving on the SHAC in the 2019-2020 school year are encouraged to check the DSISD Community Advisory Committees webpage in August 2019 for additional details.
THE ROLE OF THE SCHOOL HEALTH ADVISORY COUNCIL (SHAC):
The School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) serves exclusively in an advisory role, assisting the district in ensuring that local community values and health issues are reflected in the district’s health education instruction. The committee is appointed by the Board of Trustees and is comprised primarily of parents (who are not employees of the district) of students enrolled in the district.
The Board may also appoint one or more teachers, administrators, students, health-care professionals, business representatives, law enforcement representatives, senior citizens, clergy, representatives of nonprofit health organizations, or representatives of another group. A majority of the representatives must be parents.
The committee meets throughout the school year as determined by the Superintendent or designee.
- Recommend the number of hours of instruction to be provided in health education*
- Recommend curriculum appropriate for specific grade levels designed to prevent obesity, cardiovascular disease, and Type 2 Diabetes through coordination of health education, physical education and physical activity, nutrition services, parental involvement, and instruction to prevent use of tobacco*
- Recommend strategies for integrating the curriculum components specified in this item with the following elements in a coordinated school health program:* school health services, counseling and guidance services, safe and healthy school environment, and school employee wellness
- Recommend appropriate grade levels and methods of instruction for human sexuality instruction*
- Recommend format for an annual District Health Report
- Recommend a minimum number of minutes of unstructured physical activity (recess) for grades K-5*
* Required by law and policy
2019-2020 Meeting Schedule
SHAC meetings will be held in Room C301 of the DSISD Administrative Offices from 5:00-6:00 p.m. on:
- October 7
- November 11
- February 3
- March 2
- April 6
Members of the general public may attend SHAC meetings.
Information Links & Resources