School Health Advisory Council
THE ROLE OF THE SCHOOL HEALTH ADVISORY COUNCIL (SHAC):
The School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) serves exclusively in an advisory role, assisting the district in ensuring that local community values and health issues are reflected in the district’s health education instruction. The committee is appointed by the Board of Trustees and is comprised primarily of parents (who are not employees of the district) of students enrolled in the district.
The Board may also appoint one or more teachers, administrators, students, healthcare professionals, business representatives, law enforcement representatives, senior citizens, clergy, representatives of nonprofit health organizations, or representatives of another group. A majority of the representatives must be parents.
The committee meets throughout the school year as determined by the Superintendent or designee.
- Recommend the number of hours of instruction to be provided in health education*
- Recommend curriculum appropriate for specific grade levels designed to prevent obesity, cardiovascular disease, and Type 2 Diabetes through coordination of health education, physical education and physical activity, nutrition services, parental involvement, and instruction to prevent the use of tobacco*
- Recommend strategies for integrating the curriculum components specified in this item with the following elements in a coordinated school health program:* school health services, counseling and guidance services, safe and healthy school environment, and school employee wellness
- Recommend appropriate grade levels and methods of instruction for human sexuality instruction*
- Recommend format for an annual District Health Report
- Recommend a minimum number of minutes of unstructured physical activity (recess) for grades K-5*
* Required by law and policy
2021-2022 Meeting Schedule
SHAC meetings will be held in the Board Room of the DSISD Central Office on:
- November 9, 2021
- January 18, 2022
- February 8, 2022
- March 8, 2022
- March 24, 2022
- April 5, 2022
DSISD SHAC meetings are open to the public.
- A total of 15 minutes will be allocated at the end of each meeting agenda for public comments.
- Members of the public will have three minutes to share comments with the committee during the time period specified on the meeting agenda.
- If the number of speakers present exceeds the time allocated, the individual will have a reduced number of minutes.
- The form available through the link below is an additional mode for public comment to be considered by the District Coordinator and Committee Chairs. The form is intended for use only when time allotted at regular meetings is not sufficient to accommodate the number of speakers present at the meeting.
- Speakers are expected to demonstrate respectful and constructive decorum.
- Individuals who demonstrate conduct that disrupts or disrespects the work of the committee or become aggressive in tone, volume, language, or gesture will not be allowed to make further comment and will be asked to leave the meeting.
Information Links & Resources