The following is a quick synopsis of attendance procedures at SSMS. Please refer to the entire DSISD Student Handbook for complete information.
Sycamore Springs Middle School Attendance Clerk
Parent Instructions for Reporting Absences
- Log into Skyward Family Access on your computer or mobile device. Click “Attendance” OR
- Send an email using this address: firstname.lastname@example.org OR
- Call the Attendance Office at 512.858.3601
Parent Instructions for Requesting Early Release
- At this time, parents are not allowed in our school building. If a parent needs to pick up a student early, please follow the directions listed on the entrance door.
- Please be sure to arrive with an ID and a phone to sign out the student using our QR code.
- For any questions, please contact our campus receptionist at 512.858.3611.
When a student is absent from school for any portion of a school day, the student’s parent must verify the absence using one of the methods listed above. Absence verification must describe the reason for the absence. Parents should report absences as early as possible, and preferably by the end of the day. Parents are asked to report absences and submit medical documentation within 48 hours.
- If a student is not going to be present at school, a notice of the absence should be provided to the campus as has always been standard practice. When a student is absent, notice is required within 48 hours to excuse the absence.
- If a student is unable to attend in person for five consecutive days, contact your campus administrator to determine learning platform placement.
Unexcused absences are those that are not exempt or excused, but are approved and verified by a parent. Out-of-town absences are documented as unexcused absences. Parents must verify the absence to the campus Attendance Office within 48 hours of the absence. When possible, verification of a planned absence should be provided in advance of the absence. Absence verification must describe the reason for the absence.
Definition of Tardy
A student who is not in class when the bell rings and does not have an official excuse is considered tardy. Teachers will track the number of tardies for each student. By the third tardy, the teacher will talk to the student about the importance of being in class on time. Teachers will submit a referral through Family Access at the fourth (and each subsequent) tardy.
If a parent believes a student was mistakenly marked truant, please contact the teacher who marked the absence. Detailed attendance information can be found in Skyward Family Access. The Attendance Office cannot change a truancy absence without documentation from the student’s teacher verifying presence in class.
The district must submit attendance of its students to the TEA reflecting attendance at a specific time each day. Official attendance is taken every day at 9:45 a.m. A student absent for any portion of the day, including at the official attendance-taking time, should follow reporting procedures to provide documentation of the absence.
For more information regarding DSISD attendance policies, please click here.